Friday, April 16, 2010

I was fine until I started my packing list...

So...triathlon season is finally upon us. The first race of the season is tomorrow. Over the past day, week, month...I've been getting the typical race jitters. Wait, no...let me rephrase. I have been getting race jitters...but not the typical ones where they completely take over my life, and I'm incapable of doing anything. Nope...this time, I've been nervous, but still able to function.

That is, until I started making my packing list for this afternoon.

Now my hands are shaking, my heart is racing, and I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

I still swear by my statement that the nerves are actually a good thing...because any race that I haven't been nervous about I've crashed, bonked, or nearly ended up dead. Any race where I've been nervous before...I was fine. Well...for the most part. I at least finished with minimal amounts of pain or actual throwing up, and the tears were tears of joy.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Although I had initially wanted to do the entire Oly this weekend, I'm settling for the Sprint and relaying the bike of the Oly. I could have probably finished the Oly...but at what price...and at the beginning of the season, it just wasn't worth it.

So I'm really looking at this as a long training weekend. With the race goals this year, and they are lofty, I have no reason to be freaked about a short race.

But I'm still a littler nervous.

But hopefully I'll at least be able to pack tonight...and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment