Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I need a vacation from my vacation...

Last fall when I moved half-way across the country, I accepted the fact that some of my vacation time would need to be spent visiting home. It's just something that you have to do. Your friends miss you. Your family misses you. But what these visits create is a very stressful few days that are packed with trying to see everyone. Don't get me wrong...I love seeing everyone...but I occasionally need a break to recover from those visits.

This trip had been planned for a long time. The actual, official reason for the trip was my 10 year High School reunion. Don't get me started on how old that makes me feel...but anyway that was what the excuse was for going home. But really...the only thing that got me there was knowing that I would get to see my best friend, and my college roommate...and her son. Oh yeah...an my family...it's always nice to see them.

Well the weekend started easily enough. I flew home Thursday evening, and thankfully didn't have any problems on the way. I got to talk to Jeff while I was in the airport...which helped me waste some time...and then had quite an uneventful flight home. My parents picked me up at the airport...and we headed home. I actually felt like such a kid several times on this trip...the first incident of this was on the way home. I ended up curling up in the back seat and falling asleep on the drive home...which I don't think I've done since I was a child. But I couldn't help it...I was tired.

Then Friday morning I wake up, make coffee and read for a bit. And as usual, my dad asks me what I want for breakfast...and I finally decide on pancakes. Dad makes really gooooood pancakes. The first pancake that he made me...yeah...it was definitely in the shape of Mickey Mouse. But I guess I shouldn't feel too bad...he made one for my mom as well. So I hang out with the parental units for a little while...then I head to town to have lunch at the Dairy Bar with Gretchen, Derek, Chris and Sarah. There is one reason we eat at the Dairy Bar. They have the best freaking cole slaw ever! Even though we're having them cater the reunion, we're still making a special trip there for lunch. So we get there, order, and wait for our food. After quite a wait...they come out and tell us that they're out of cole slaw...but we could have potato salad with our meal. How can they be out of COLE SLAW?!? That's ridiculous! But anyway...we eat...and sit around talking for a bit...then all of a sudden...I look over at Gretchen...and tell her that I really want to go down the big curly slide. Did I mention that the Dairy Bar is in the local park? So we all go outside...and have our 15 minutes of acting like a kid...good times.

Because my time was so short...I told my mom to invite all of the family that could make it to the house on Friday evening so I could see as many of them as possible. So it was nice to see my Aunt and Uncle and my Grandma. My Uncle hadn't actually seen me lately...and he didn't even recognize me. Tally number 1 for that count.

The next morning was the Schutzenfest 5K. We had a ridiculously hard time finding info about this race...but finally...thanks to my Grandma...I had a start time and location. So I get there...and laugh at the small town Middle America race. 9 people had pre-registered...but fortunately a few other people showed up. I ended up having a good race...and finished in 26:32...which was good enough for second in my age group, and second overall female. I was definitely happy...especially since this is probably going to be the only time I ever podium in a race...ever.

So I go home...get ready...and head to reunion part the first. It's a family picnic...I must say that it was nice to see most everyone. I got to talk to basically everyone...talk to them for a few minutes...but as reunions tend to go...I ended up hanging out with the people that I hung out with in High School. Believe me...I'm not complaining...because I love my bff. Oh yeah...and I ate fried chicken. Let's not talk about how gross I felt after that. I must say that it felt quite nice because most everyone that hadn't seen me in the past 5-10 years told me that they almost, or didn't recognize me. Granted...many of them told me it was because my hair is so different...which I find funny that they completely glossed over the fact that I've lost a ton of weight...but oh well. Mission accomplished :)

So we leave there around 2ish...and go to the lake house...and again relive our past. Uncle Jack takes us out of the boat...which was awesome. Then we go to the Ranch for dinner. I eat way too many chips and salsa...but I just can't help it...they're sooooooo goooooooooood. During dinner...my contact started bugging me really badly...so I ended up going home to take them out. It was bad enough that I couldn't really see...so I ended up not making it to reunion part the second. I'm not really sure I'm upset about that.

Sunday was a very nice day. I went to church with my parents...and got to see all of their friends. Then I went to Christina (my college roommate)'s house. More importantly I got to spend the afternoon with her adorable son. We read stories...and played...and he crawled all over the house. Then while he was napping Christina and I got to talk. We met the girls for dinner...and had a really nice them.

I got home late on Sunday...then woke up Monday...did some laundry...packed...and headed back to the airport...which I'm not refering to as my second home. But hopefully this will be my last flight for a while. Hopefully.

Then...I'm not quite sure what got into me last night. I got home from the airport at 7...and started unpacking. Not that this isn't needed. Because it totally is. I still have a lot of stuff to unpack and get situated. It was just weird. But I'm not really complaining.

So all in all...a good trip...I'm just tired still...and need another break. Oh well...I'll get one...eventually...

No comments:

Post a Comment