Saturday, October 9, 2010

Holy $#!% I said it!

The phrase "I'm training for an Ironman" actually came out of my mouth yesterday.

I know it's over a year away, but I feel like the training efforts I'm putting in right now is all leading up to racing IM Arizona next November. I have a lot of work to do between now and then...and I'm hoping getting an early start is going to help me not die during the race next year.

And I'm not actually talking about really dieing...I'm talking about bonking. Not feeling like moving forward anymore. Or not being able to move forward anymore.

I want to be able to get more workouts in. This...on top of all of my other goals this year. To really be able to fit all of the workouts in, I need to get up early in the morning, and get a workout in before work. I tried this past week...and I got up...but there were a couple of mornings where I just couldn't motivate myself in enough time to work out. I did a couple of strength workouts...but that's it. I need to do more. I've never been one to work out in the morning. I've never been able to keep it up...mainly because I like being awake while I work out.

So, in that effort...I'm going to do what I normally do when I need some accountability. I'm going to write it down.

Today...I ran 8 miles in 1:41. That's a little longer than I used to be able to do it, but I'm hoping to speed things back up. I did get a speed run in this week, and I still don't like doing them, but I know that it's helpful in running faster.

The other part of this is that I need to lose some weight. I know how to do this. Clearly, I've done it in the past. But it's not easy. I've also had a weakness for food for, well, forever. I made a decision last night that I'm going to take a break from Peanut Butter. Not an easy thing for me to do. I love peanut butter. I love it a little too much. It's a hot button food for me, and one that I can't stop eating.

And the third piece of this is that I'm buying a new bike. I'm actually going shopping after I finish this. I'm not positive...but I think I'm going to switch from my tri bike, that I've never really been comfortable riding, to a road bike that I'm quite sure will have better control. A few months ago when I went window shopping, I was foolishly talked out of even riding a road bike. Well, I'm not going to let that happen again. So I'm going to look, but we'll see how that goes. I'm also looking for a bike that I can just ride around the city, that isn't my race bike. This, I'm hoping will get me more comfortable on a bike in general, and therefore more willing to spend more time training.

So...there it is. It starts now.

No comments:

Post a Comment