Friday, November 18, 2011

"Vacation" - Week 1

The parents and I have finally arrived in Arizona.  Last night, in fact.  And before 10am this morning, had you asked me how I was feeling about race day, I wouldn't have had a very good answer.  If anything, the answer would have been something close to "blah."  But at 10am, we got to the race location, and as soon as I saw the first tent with "Ironman" written on it, the nerves definitely started kicking in. 

But let's back track just a bit.  I've been supposed to be enjoying time off from work the past week, and I was looking forward to having some time off work, and expected to be bored out of my mind sitting around my parents house.  But I was back home, and was able to see friends that I get to see once a year, so my time was kept quite busy.  In fact, I couldn't believe it's already time for me to be in Arizona.

Vacation actually started off with a wedding, where the other original member of the singles girls club got married, leaving me on my own in that particular club.  The wedding was lovely.  I was the only single person in attendance above the age of 25.  And despite the best efforts of the bride, I didn't actually catch the bouquet.  Whew, dodged a bullet on that one.

So...hanging out with my BFF...awesome.  We ate at the greasy spoon that we grew up loving, despite the fact that they DIDN'T have the cole slaw we so desperately love.  Perused Kohl's.  And got smoothies from the ridiculously awesome, hipster coffee shop that is admittedly  the exception to awesome things found in Middle America. 

My dad also took me 4-wheeler riding through the woods down the road (from the middle of nowhere) from our house.  And the first thing I thought when I saw the trails is that it would make a ridiculously awesome trail run.  So, if anyone would like a challenge, just go visit my parents. 

Then lunch with the girls from college, dinner with my old roommate from DC, and only one teensy, tiny day where I got to stay in my pj's until 2pm.  I'm slightly disappointed with that fact, but am happy that I was able to see so many people that I only get to see once a year. 

And now we're in Arizona.  Prepping for Ironman Arizona. 

I checked in this morning, got my packet, etc.  And I perused the Ironman Store.  I'm typically pretty superstitious about not buying anything before the big race that says anything to do with actually doing the race, or finishing the race.  But I broke that today.  They have this shirt, where they created the M-dot out of all the participants name.  And it's pretty awesome.  So, I bought it.  And let's face it, my superstition hasn't really gotten me too far in the past, so perhaps, the mere fact that I bought something with the stupid races name on it might give me the motivation to actually, you know, finish.  (I did, however, almost buy my niece a shirt that said "Support Team" on it, with the "m" of team being the m-dot...I haven't yet, but plan to.  And I think my brother and sister-in-law may appreciate that over the shirt that says "When I Grow Up I Want to be an Ironman.")

I have to say, I did have a few, not so brief, moments while at the expo today...where I was wondering what the hell I was doing there.  I totally don't fit in.  I was feeling a little self-conscious about not really looking like an Ironman.  Or at least nothing like the people standing around me do.

This is definitely a unique experience.  You sign away the rights to your life (basically).  You hand over the most expensive possession that you own to complete strangers.  And you make your loved ones stand around waiting for you for an entire day.  And they willing do this because they love you.  But beyond that, you're the rock star.  You're the one that the day is all about.  The little bracelet on your wrist, that you will no doubt wear for weeks after the race is actually over, is status.  You are the Ironman to be.  You've been training for this day for a year.  And now the day is finally here (almost).  People cater to your needs, and give you anything you want or need.  The thought, well, it just makes me pause.

But I guess it's a little too late to turn back now, so it appears that I'll be racing on Sunday.  Then maybe I'll be able to enjoy the second week of my vacation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment