Friday, October 21, 2011

The 30 Day Countdown

It's officially begun.  30 days until Ironman Arizona.  It's getting close.  And I have no idea how to pack for 3 weeks, in which I will be attending a wedding, hanging out with family in multiple locations, completing an Ironman, and working.  Yeah...the Ironman is going to be my "rest day." 

So instead of packing, or thinking about packing, or anything resembling the word packing...let's discuss a few other points.

Taking a deep breathe.

I am grateful for every day that I am able to take a deep breathe.  There have been far too many days in my life that I have not been able to, including very recently.  Trying to ride your bike while not being able to take more than a shallow breathe moves into the category of dangerous.  Yet I did it.  And then promptly made an appointment to visit my asthma Dr.  Numbers normally make me feel better.  Having very concise directions also help.  So...numbers:  My lung capacity is at 128% of normal, my large airway capacity is at 120%, and my small airway capacity is at 95% of normal.  Yet I have been having some serious issues breathing lately.  It's not really the capacity that causes asthma, though it typically helps, it's something in the airways themselves (or something very technical-ish like that).  So they put me on more medicine to help clear things up.  It's definitely been helping.  I've been ridiculously jittery.  But I can breathe.  At the moment, it's a trade off I'm willing to accept. 

I have bad balance. 

You can pick your jaw up off the floor, because I'm sure you're all shocked that a klutz such as me would have poor balance.   But that's what the Physical Therapist told me.  So...let's take a step back, so we can have a better understanding of this topic.  I did not grow up an athlete.  In fact, I wouldn't have even considered myself an athlete until less than 3 years ago when I started running.  So let's just say the knowledge behind being an athlete was also not there.  And I've learned a lot.  I could talk bike components until I'm blue in the face.  Nutrition?  I'm pretty much there.  The fact that there are about a million ways to incorrectly train the muscles in your body and only a very select few that actually work...well...NOW I know.  So, long story short, there are many things to work on.  Many things that have resulted in my knees being in pain.  And that I can work around until AZ, and then seriously fix after. 

Winter.

I hate winter.  I hate being cold.  And I'm almost as much of a wuss when it comes to being cold as Ed.  But I'm really excited about this winter.  3 winters ago, I just started running.  And for the past 2 winters, I have trained for a marathon, then directly into triathlon season with no break.  Well...this year...I get one!  I'm not running an early year marathon...so I get to focus on something else than running 20 miles in 25 degree weather.  Woohoo!  And I'm already creating a list of stuff to do. 
  • Lost the extra 30-35 pounds I didn't get shed before Ironman training kicked in.  Ok, so I would really be happy with losing 25 and keeping most of the muscle I currently have.  
  • Work on swimming.  Let's just say, I'm not a natural swimmer.  And I need some work.
  • Strength training/flexibility.  Let's work on those stability muscles!  Who knows...maybe this time next year, I won't be such a klutz!  Hey...we can all dream...
  • Use my holiday bonus to sign up for Cedar Point.  Yup.  I said it.  I'm 99% sure I'm doing it.  
So, at this point, I feel like the goal for IMAZ is to just...survive.  And finish before midnight.  With no broken bones.  Then, hopefully next year, I'll actually...well...not be competitive...because that's just never going to happen.  But...maybe, just maybe...I won't suck so badly at this sport that I love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment