Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Magical Qualities of Snow

I admit it.  I hate cold weather.  I hate being cold. And mother nature should allow us one, and only one, good dumping of snow. And then it should promptly go back to being 65-70 degrees.  It's snowing today.  And it's October.  October is not for snow.  October is for sweaters being pulled out of storage, and leaves turning the most brilliant oranges and reds you could imagine.  But no, it's definitely snowing today.

There is something about taking a walk in snow.  There is some magical quality to it.  Even now, as I'm back home in my mostly warm apartment, defrosting my icy digits, I have a subtle smile on my face. 

There is something about taking a walk in snow that takes me back to my childhood.  As a youngster, I loved playing in snow.  And for me, sledding was not hurling down a hill as fast as a toboggan could carry me.  Sledding was being pulled behind a 4-wheeler by my dad.  I, of course, was the child who would tip the sled from side to side, almost to the point I would topple over the side, but never quite going over.  And then my brother would ultimately let go of my sled, and I would go careening through the snow, bounce back up, and demand to do it again.

There is something about taking a walk in the snow that makes me want to tip my face upward, and let the snow smack me in the face.  And spread my arms and twirl until I'm so dizzy I immediately fall over.  It makes me not want to take life so seriously.

It makes me have a sweet smile on my face, one that invites cute, old men to tip their hats to me, and say good day to you.  And makes me say good day to you right back. 

It makes me think of sitting in my parents living room, with the fire roaring, in my plaid old man pajamas,  drinking hot cider, eat apple crumble, while reading a book.  Of snow days as a child, where you stayed up late the night before, measuring how much snow had already fallen, begging your parents to stay up late because they MUST cancel school the next day.  Then waking up to find that it wasn't just a dream.  You got an extra day away from classes, and had no responsibilities, and could laugh, and play, and nap without guilt.  Because you got a snow day. 

The one thing I do love about cold weather...the one and only thing...is the magical quality of snow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment