Thursday, February 2, 2012

Guilty Pleasures

This week, I spent 4 days doing nothing but lay on the couch.  And for a little excitement in my life, I would occasionally lay on my bed.  Watching trashy day time TV.  But hey, when you're sick, what else are you going to do?  One afternoon, I was watching The Chew on ABC, and the entire show was dedicated to guilty pleasures.  At the time, it was rather entertaining to watch the 4 goof ball hosts laugh about their secret guilty pleasures, including a fried egg and bologna sandwich, Judge Judy, and ironing. 

Though it really didn't resonate at the time (my mind being a little befuddled with illness), the concept eventually got me thinking about what my guilty pleasures are. 

My first thought was coffee.  But then I realized, I don't really feel guilty about drinking coffee.  In fact, I would say that it's necessary for me (though I did go without coffee while sick).  The me you all know and love does not exist without coffee.  But I know I'm not alone in this either.

So then I got down to business, and started listing what my real guilty pleasures are.

1) Spoon + Jar of PB + Jar of Strawberry Jelly.  - Allow me to sit down with this combination, and I will be one happy camper.  Because it's also a ridiculous amount of calories, and tends to leave me feeling less than stellar, this doesn't happen that often.  But when it does...mm mm mm mm mm.

2) Watching cable TV - when I'm traveling only, because I don't have cable of any sort at home.  I will sit in my hotel room for hours on end (because, let's face it, I often don't get sent to great destinations) and watch marathons of crappy TV.  USA and the Food Network are by far my faves.  Ok, so when I'm home, my antenna does have ION, which also is a good substitute for real cable channels. 

3) Laying in bed.  Ok, I'm not talking about the doing nothing but laying in bed for 4 days straight, incapable of doing nothing else (like this week).  Every morning, when my alarm goes off, I hit snooze a couple of times, and many mornings, I'll just stay in bed.  Now that I'm not currently doing 2 a day works outs, this has been happening a lot lately.  I stay in bed, and enjoy the warmth, and fantasize about a number of different things.  Occasionally, I'll think of all of the wonderful things I could accomplish if I called in sick that day.  Or how I want to redecorate my house (that I don't currently live in).  Or what I want for my future.  Or what groceries I need to buy, or what food I want to make soon.  It's typically a random assortment of topics that pass through my brain, but it's really just my favorite time of day.  Before I get up and shower and head to work, because my fantasy about calling in that day never seems possible unless I'm actually sick.  And I walk around my tiny studio apartment, and stub my toes, elbows, or whatever other body part sticks out, and wishing that I was living in a much larger home. 

There are probably a multitude of other things, mainly foods that I rarely allow myself to eat (including a grilled goat cheese sandwich, bacon, pie, and chocolate cake).  But those listed above are really what does it for me. 

So...what is your guilty pleasure?

1 comment:

  1. Your post made me think of my biggest guilty pleasure. I spend about 20 minutes every morning reading my email and Facebook on my iPad - in bed. It is a nice gentle way of waking up.

    ReplyDelete