Monday, September 26, 2011

Recovery Week

Recovery week is now over, and looking back, I wish I had taken more time to enjoy the break from strenuous, long workouts.  Ok...so I didn't do anything this past week.  At all.  Ok, so I worked.  And I walked to and from the bus stop for work.  But the only work outs I did (I think) were over the weekend.  I've had an odd couple of weeks with big ups and downs...and am hoping the next couple will be on a bit more of an even keel. 

Let's, for a moment, revisit one of the highs.  Yesterday was a 20 mile bike ride day.  To say the least, I was NOT looking forward to this ride.  I wanted to stay in bed, and sleep late, and drink coffee.  And the last thing I ever wanted to do, was get out on that gray, disgusting looking morning and ride my bike.  But I got kidnapped...so I really didn't have much of a choice.  And on the way to Riley's Lock, especially as we were getting much closer, I started getting really nervous.  The pavement was really wet in some places due to recent rain, and there were some decent hills.  So, let's put this in perspective.  I hadn't ridden on hills that big in wet conditions since I wrecked 2 years ago.  Yes, I've been avoiding situations like that like the plague. 

So, we get there, get ready to go.  And as I'm trying to clean my sunglasses...they literally fall apart in my hands.  Awesome!  I hope this isn't an indication of how the rest of the day is going to go.  I try to put them back together, only to realize that they were finally dead.  (Perhaps now is a good time to get those Tifosi's I've been dreaming about???)

But it isn't THAT sunny out...so I should be ok...I was just hoping my eyes wouldn't dry out too much.  And they didn't. (whew).

As we're all standing around, waiting to get started...we are all comparing how far we're riding that morning.  I have to say...it was very nice to be in the shortest group that morning.  As everyone else looked on the Ironman group in jealousy (oh come on now, you know it's true) that we were only riding 20 miles. 

So we get started...and I am not having any fun.  There's a lot of climbing to do...which normally is fine with me...but these hills, combined with my lack of a decent attitude about the ride...did not make for a fun start.  And everyone that had been riding in front of me were no longer in site. Awesome. 

I then get passed by a car, and instead of pulling over far enough to get around me, the jerk completely sprayed me.  Even more fantastic.  At least it wasn't cold yesterday. 

So...you might, now, be thinking "isn't this supposed to be one of the highlights?"  Yes, yes it is.  I'm getting to that part.  So...for about the first 8 miles or so, I just kept moving forward, not really having any fun...but starting to get a little more comfortable with the conditions.  There was one moment about 4 miles in where I briefly, and not very seriously, considered just going back to the parking lot.  But I knew that I needed to finish my ride to regain some of my confidence in these conditions.  So I kept moving forward. 

And wouldn't you know, just as I rounded the bend to climb Mt. Nebo...I look up...and am shocked.  I see people!  I had caught up with people!  Woohoo!!  Ok, so some of them had stopped...but still...people!  So I continue to climb, and climb, and descend, and climb (and I passed a couple of people!)...and somewhere around mile 14...something unreal happened.  I started having a lot of fun.  I actually think it was about this point that I actually got warmed up...so things definitely started looking up.  I had caught up to a couple of other girls, and ended up riding with them the rest of the way.  But one of my big victories for the ride was that I started to get less tentative while riding downhill.  To the point I really started having fun with some of them, and getting into a high gear, and pedaling, pedaling, pedaling and going faster, faster, faster.  It was fun :)  I know...I just said I enjoyed going down a hill.  Fast.  I never thought I would actually say those words. 

And before I knew it, I was back in the parking lot...done.  Man...I *just* started having a good time.  And it's over already??? 

This ride actually made me think back a couple of years, when an 18 mile bike ride was all I could do before my body would say "excuse me...you're done now" and would politely shut down.  Because I got back after 20, knowing that my legs (and the rest of my body) could do a looooooooooot more than 20 miles.  But it was fun to stop after 20...because then I could actually go home...and go to a baseball game!  Woohoo!  Plans that don't involve training!! 

So, while before yesterday's ride, though I love Cecric...I really wasn't looking forward to riding him ever again.  Or putting on my running shoes.  But now...I can't wait for next weekends 110 mile bike ride and 18 mile run!  Ok, so maybe I can't wait until they're over.  But being reminded of the progress I've made, and know that I will continue to make, doesn't make the decision not to do an Ironman next year any easier.  I still haven't officially given up on the idea...but I think I'm leaning towards not doing it.  With some very longing glances towards signing up for Cedar Point.  But then again...the decision isn't final...so really anything could happen.

Now, on to this week...starting off with a run!

No comments:

Post a Comment