Sunday, March 4, 2012

The 40 Day Challenge - Day 1

I'm going to do it.  I'm going to do something for 40 days.  But it's going to be more than just giving something up for 40 days.  My goal in this...project...if you will...is to do something for myself, that is going to be a benefit both to my physical health, and my mental well being.  So I will be giving something up, but I'll also be doing something for myself as well.  

So, the parameters are:

1) No cookies and/or Peanut Butter - Both of these are trigger foods that once I start eating, I don't stop eating them.  Most of the time.  And they are both things that I love.

2) At least once a week, try a new, healthy recipe - This is going to be a lot of fun.  I love food, and I love looking through recipes, and doing research.  Plus, the added bonus of changing things up in the food department.  Realistically, this is something that needed to happen anyway, and was already considering doing, just not on such a "strict" basis.

3) Meatless Mondays! - I grew up eating really good meat.  Meat that I had seen raised myself.  And as an adult, I do love a good steak.  But at the same time, I've also went through periods where I just couldn't stomach a piece of meat, or even the thought of eating a piece of meat.  As a result, I spent 6 months being a mostly vegetarian, and loved it.  But then I got yelled at by my nutritionist because I wasn't eating enough protein.  So I still love meat, but I think feeding my inner vegetarian at least once a week is a good idea. 

I'm excited about this new challenge, and am hopeful in the next few weeks of insanity, things won't fall off the deep end.  And it's not like I won't be able to indulge myself at all.  I mean...I can still eat ice cream...so I think I'll be ok there.  At least I hope so.  I even have my first new recipe all picked out thanks to my friend Cat - Sweet Potatoes with Warm Black Bean Salad.  I've been wanting to try this one since I first read about it.  And...bonus! It helps satisfy 2 of my parameters!!!  As long as I don't have cookies for desert, I'll be good to go!  

I had a weird dream last night.  And I'm 50/50 about whether or not I remember the dream or not.  But at least part of the dream I do remember.  I was swimming in a pool, and people kept swimming in my lane, and getting in my way.  And then at the end of the dream, the water was draining out, so by the time I got to the end of the lane, I couldn't swim any more because the water was so shallow.  Now, I don't do this all the time when I remember a dream, but the ones that really stick out to me, I do.  I look up what the dream interpretation can mean.  My BFF has helped with this, but often I just look it up online.  Most of the time, stuff like this wouldn't mean that much to me.  I'm not really into horoscopes or anything, but every single time I do read the interpretation for my dream, it really resonates with what is going on in my life - so I do give it some credit.  

According to DreamMoods.com seeing a swimming pool in your dream means:

Swimming Pool
To see a swimming pool in your dream symbolizes relaxation, calmness, luxury and ease. You need to take a break. Alternatively, a swimming pool suggests that you need to acknowledge and understand your feelings. It is time to dive in and deal with those emotions. You need to cleanse yourself and wash away past hurts. Consider the depth of the pool. If you were swimming on the deep end, then it means that those emotions are deeply seeded and may be harder to confront.. You will need to work through it, no more matter how difficult. If you are swimming on the shallow end, then it implies that you should be able to easily deal with your feelings.

See what I mean about resonating with me?  I do need a break.  And I do feel the need for a cleansing.  And oddly enough, without realizing it, I've been trying to do that in my day to day life anyway.  It's not that I don't shower, because I do at least once a day.  But lately, I've felt the need to just do an extra good job at it.  Partly because I've been packing, and am incredibly dirty by the time I get done.  And part of it...well...it just makes me feel good.  

Now, because I was also actually swimming in the pool, we can look at:

Swimming
To dream that you are swimming suggests that you are exploring aspects of your unconscious mind and emotions. The dream may be a sign that you are seeking some sort of emotional support. It is a common dream image for people going through therapy.

So, I'm not going through therapy right at the moment.  But part of this still resonates with me.  Lately, I've been talking to one of my friends especially about what is going on in my life, with moving half way across the country, and taking on a job that is a completely new adventure.  And though she's excited for me, and could not be happier that I'm doing what I really want to be doing, and living where I want to live, she's also sad that I'm leaving.  We see each other almost every single day, and it's just going to be a big change.  And I get that.  And I know at some point, it's probably going to just smack me in the face that I'm not going to see her every day, and at that point, I'm going to be sad too.  Not that I don't realize the changes that are going to be happening.  But at the moment, I am so ecstatic about the move, and the new job, that those emotions just haven't showed up yet.  And it feels a little weird that I'm not really sad at all about leaving DC...which to me truly means that I have made the right decision.  It's almost like I'm in a euphoric state when I think about moving.  And at some point, I'm sure I'm going to have a bit of an adrenaline crash about the whole thing.  Who knows when that is going to happen.  But I'm positive it will.  And I think my unconscious brain is trying to tell me that I need to be prepared for that to happen.  Or maybe my  brain is already starting down that path.   Or maybe I feel like I should be slightly less euphoric, and a little more sad about leaving.  Who knows.  But something is definitely nagging me a little.  

That was definitely a bit of a side track.  But at the same time, it all resonates to the same thing.  I need to kick things up a little, make even some slight changes.  Hence...perfect timing for my 40 day challenge.  

Oh, I didn't mention one of my other goals about the challenge.  To write about what's going on.  And write often.  Maybe not every day.  But write about it.  How I'm feeling, how is it going.  Remember how I feel.  So check back, check in, and please, don't give me a cookie :) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment