Friday, March 9, 2012

Comfort

I am sitting here, staring at my computer screen, willing myself NOT to buy 12 pairs of the comfy looking gaucho pants that I found on Target's website. 

As I was packing up part of my closet a couple of weeks ago, specifically, my shoe collection, it once again smacked me in the face (literally) that I am one of those girls that owns 15 pairs of sneakers, and 1 pair of high heels.  Ok, maybe 2.  And even when I do buy heels, I make sure that they are comfortable (yet stylish, as in my ridiculously cute AND comfortable red Mary Jane's...that I danced part of the night away at a friends wedding recently). 

As any single girl in her 30's should never admit, I fear the next statement being made public. 

Eh, what do I care.

I am hard pressed on the weekends, or rather, any hours I am not at work, to get out of sweatpants.  Workout hours not included.  I live for comfort.  I mean, what's the point of doing anything if you're not comfortable while you're doing it.  And I really only wear dress clothes to work because I am forced to.  Not because I really enjoy it.  I'm your jeans and a t-shirt girl, who even at age 30 will not give up my gold tooth pirate shirt, or Oscar the Grouch, or the crown jewel of my collection - Abe Lincoln the pirate.  Actually...in looking at my collection, one would think I have a thing for pirate's. 

Let's not get into the psychology of that. 

Anyway, my point here being - in two weeks, two tiny, short, weeks, I am no longer going to have a 9-5 job.  Which sounds fantastic.  But my concern is that I'm going to turn into a slob that wears nothing but sweatpants, and will also be highlighted on the People of Wal-Mart.  Because I'll be shopping at Wal-Mart now too.  Because that's the only option really when you live 50 miles from Target. 

So I'm sitting here, trying not to buy the gaucho's.  As I was so nicely reminded, I don't need to spend the money,  because for a while, I'm not going to know what my income is actually going to be like.  And I already have sweat pants, and access to a nice washer and dryer (not the crappy things in my current laundry room).  And I really don't need to buy them.  But I want them.  But I don't need them.

So I'm not going to buy them. 

I feel that I must redeem myself a little bit here.  I have already admitted that I don't really enjoy dressing up.  It's not really how I was raised - or more appropriately - my mom would have loved dressing me in frilly clothes growing up, but it because obvious rather early on that I preferred making mud pies than getting all dolled up.  She didn't fight it.  But she did always make sure I was clean, and looked presentable. 

(I did mention this to my mom not that long ago, and she had no idea that looking like a hot mess and walking out the door was not acceptable, or that that was instilled in me growing up.  But even now, my pj's have to match, and I only on rare occasions will I even go outside without showering, and even then, it's only when I'm going out to work out.  And even though I'm wearing comfy clothing, I still make sure I look presentable.)

But anyway...redemption:

I've got some game when it comes to dressing up.  I mean, if I'm going to do it, let's do it right.  I own nice dresses.  I own cute, stylish (yet comfortable) shoes.  And I can dress up if the occasion calls for it. 

But I promise you that once the requirement for being dressed up is over, I would much rather go back to living in my comfy clothes. 

To be honest, I feel like I can be more productive if I'm comfortable, because who wants to be working diligently all day long, and uncomfortable at the same time.  Wouldn't you much rather be comfy AND productive? 

I'm looking forward to my lack of 9-5 lifestyle, and I'm already making plans (plans that MUST be followed through on) to keep myself busy.  But I think one of the things I'm most excited about is NOT getting dressed up every day, and schlepping to the office.

Ahhh...comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment