Friday, March 2, 2012

40 Days

I am not Catholic now, nor was I raised Catholic.  So I have never given anything up for Lent.  I was, however, raised in a Catholic community, where conversations about what you were giving up for Lent were commonplace.  Considering my family didn't participate in this practice, nor did any of my close friends, I never really paid much attention to what it was, or why they were giving something up that they so dearly loved.  And, of course, no meat (except fish) on Fridays. 

But the true history of Lent has a much deeper meaning, and according to the Catholic Encyclopedia, Lent is a time of fasting (typically from something one considers a luxury) and an opportunity to grow closer to God.  My thought about 7th Graders giving something up for Lent is that it's more of a custom or tradition, and these kids are likely going to miss the big picture here, and aren't going to spend a whole lot of time considering how they are growing closer to God.  I'm not saying it's not possible...it's just not likely. 

And again, not having a lot of Catholic friends, I haven't honestly given Lent, and giving something up, much thought over the past 10 years or so.

It wasn't until recently that my mind came back to this topic.  A few of my friends had posted on Facebook about Lent, etc.  But it was another friends comment that really got my mind spinning.  And it's likely that the reason is that the comment came from a different angle.  It was more along the lines of "doing something for 40 days."

Other than normal, bodily functions (like breathing, eating, sleeping, blinking) have I ever done anything for 40 days straight? 

The answer?  No.  Not with purpose. 

So over the past week, I've been mulling over the idea of either doing something for 40 days, or giving something up for 40 days.  Or maybe even doing both.  And if so, what is it going to mean to me.  I'm still not Catholic, and I don't plan on converting.  And what would I choose to do and give up for 40 days?  Work out 40 days in a row?  Go 40 days without eating a cookie? 

I have historically been a person that gives myself guidelines to follow (eat healthy, do not buy peanut butter, do not buy cookies, get up early every day and work out) but I've also frequently succumbed to "life happens" and fallen off the wagon faster than a gun drawn at the OK Corral.  I just try to do well one single day.  And then the next day, try to do well that day too.  And if life happens, well, life happens.  Try to do well again tomorrow. 

But the idea of doing a 40 day challenge is intriguing to me.  Obviously, I wouldn't be aligning my challenge with the actual Lent dates, and I'm not even using the opportunity to get closer to God as a reason (though if it happens, kudos!), but the more I think about the idea, the more I like it.

So, dear readers, especially you Catholics out there...I want more information.  What do you often choose to give up?  What does this mean to you?  Please, share your stories.  Because right now, I'm not sure I'm even going to do this, and I'm definitely not sure that attempting such a feat in the middle of a cross country move is the right time.  But I'm intrigued, and I might just give it a shot.  Maybe now is the perfect time.

1 comment:

  1. As I've gotten less religious, I've come to see it as more of a New Year's resolution in spring. In the last few years, I've given up coffee, soda, eating out for lunch, or eating out at all. This year is an "eating out at all" year, and it's demonstrating to me on a daily basis how out-of-tune I'd gotten with my hunger.

    Also, it's 40 days of not-Sundays, so it's actually longer than 40, which is a cruel, cruel thing.

    ReplyDelete