Thursday, March 8, 2012

Be Happy!

I am one happy camper right now.  I am.  I'm not bragging...just stating facts.  OK, so maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with moving, and the fact that I'm ridiculously excited about that fact.  Just a hunch on that one.  And at the same time, I feel like I should be...I don't know...sad, or something, about leaving DC.  And I'm going to miss my friends and everything.  But the sadness about that whole situation hasn't really hit me yet. 

That being said, it seems lately that I've gotten more emotionally invested in really sad stories in the news.  And for this, I blame my 108 year old neighbor.  Bear with me here.  I have a very sweet, elderly (obviously, since I call her my 108 year old neighbor, though I don't actually know her age) neighbor, who was pretty much the first person I met in my building.  Like, the day I moved in.  I introduced myself, she introduced herself.  She told me that she used to live in my apartment, and how it's such a nice efficiency. 

Since this initial encounter, I have subsequently been re-introduced to her many times, on an almost bi-weekly basis.  And a couple of weeks ago, on a weekend morning (granted it had been more than the usual 2 weeks since I had seen her), after living just down the hall for 11 months, yes, she introduced herself to me.  Like we'd never met before.  Most often, I've chosen to have a little chuckle about this, her being my cute, 108 year old neighbor.  But this last time really affected me.  Maybe it's all of the other stuff that I have going on in my life right now.  Or maybe I can't be as happy as I am without feeling some pang of sadness.  Whatever it is...this latest re-introduction made me sad.  I know that she's suffering from some type of dementia, or Alzheimer's - the cruelest of all getting old diseases, and for that, I just couldn't laugh this time.  Because that sealed the deal.  That made whatever disease is affecting her mind real to me. 

And since that time, I've been sucked in to news stories that might not have caught my eye previously.  Most recently, it's been a story about 2 identical twins who were found dead in their house, with no known family members.  And even more sad, it appears that they died within moments of one another.  Most likely because one of them died, and then the other just couldn't handle life without the other one.  They had lived a secluded life for many years, having no other close friend than the other twin.  They had no family.  And had gotten even more secluded in the past few months.  In fact, it was days before anyone even found them, and only then, it was because the police were kind enough to do a routine stop at their house to make sure everything was ok.  Well, this time, it wasn't.  Fortunately, the update today made me happy, because so many people who had also gotten sucked into the story had done research, and actually found family members for these two women.  So an almost happy ending there.

But beyond this, stories about school shootings, and trials of hate crimes, and hate crimes happening in my own home town...the home town I am moving back to...make me sad.  I know, and have known, for many years that the news often highlights the bad things that happen.  Because apparently stories that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside don't sell.  Apparently, drama sells.  Hate sells.  Death sells.  And apparently, Snooki being both pregnant *gasp* and engaged *gasp, gasp* are what really sells. 

Ok, so I haven't been sucked in to actually reading any of the stories about Snooki.  I just can't do it.  Seeing the headlines day after day after day just makes me sick.  As if a beach bum from Jersey being both pregnant and engaged is news worthy?  Is it really that rare of an occurrence?  If so...maybe THAT should be the story instead. 

And let's not even talk about the Republican primary's right now, or Rush Limbaugh...because my brain cells are more valuable that writing even more about two topics that have had more written about them than any of the other stories I've mentioned.  And that's fine, I have opinions...but my brain is tired of them both.

So what do I want?  Beyond just a chance to vent my frustration...let's just...be happy.  Let's talk about positive things.  Let's focus on something good that has happened.  Do something nice for someone.  It doesn't have to be anything big.  Sometimes, just asking if someone needs help is all that they need. 

Let me give you an example.  Last night, I decided it was a good idea to finally carry home some of the boxes I've been collecting in my office.  I had several, and they were getting in my way.  And I should probably fill them up this weekend anyway.  So I collected them, and put one box together, and put the rest in that box.  And let me add, I didn't have any real packing tape in my office...just your standard scotch tape.  I think you can probably guess where this story is going.  Let's just say, approximately 2 blocks from home, the box that was verging on coming apart came apart.  And as a result, all of the other boxes ended up on the sidewalk.  So I devised a new method that actually worked to keep all the boxes together...let's just say I should probably have an honorary Engineering degree for what I worked out.  Or at least a MacGuyver certificate.  But as I was being all mad and frustrated, collecting boxes...with other people not close, but...you know...around...and of course no one stopped.  And at that exact moment...just when I was wishing that someone cared...a woman pulled over and asked if I needed help.  I politely told her I didn't need help.  Because I didn't need her help.  What I did need, and what she gave me, was the knowledge that I wasn't alone. 

So, when, a block later, my MacGuyver certificate was momentarily yanked back when all of the boxes once again ended up on the ground, I didn't feel so bad. 

And then, when one of my building mates almost locked me out of the building, because he didn't notice I was right behind him.  With a massive amount of boxes.  He seemed genuinely upset that he wasn't polite, and held the door open for me. 

Lately, this has been a good reminder that people can actually be genuinely good.  And it's been nice to see.  And I think in a world where so much negative abounds - it's nice to see someone do something positive.  And pass it on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment