Saturday, March 17, 2012

T Minus 10 Days

Big, cross country move number 2 is now only 10 days away.  Also known as move number 5 in 3 and a half years.  To say the least, I'm really tired of this whole moving business.  No matter how well acclimated one is to moving, it's a stressful thing.  And one's excitement about the whole moving thing does nothing to relieve the stress that it can create. 

And it's becoming really obvious that I'm stressed out. 

This week has been exhausting, and it really shouldn't have.  When I woke up this morning, I heard my neighbors newspaper being delivered, and expected it was around the normal time of 5am.  Because that's the time it normally gets delivered.  I was shocked when I looked at my clock moments later to discover that it was 6:30am, and I had slept for nearly 10 hours last night.  And even now, after a huge cup of coffee (which, btw, always makes me grateful for my BFF, because she gave me the massive mug eons ago for Christmas) I am still feeling rather lethargic. 

It's one of those "I really need to get motivated to do something" days, and I just can't seem to get going.  Made even worse by the fact that I have many friends running 26.2 miles this weekend.  And I'll be lucky if I even run 2.6 miles. 

But I think I'm going to give myself a break on packing this weekend.  Pretty much from the moment I made the decision that I'm moving, I started packing.  And because I've done this so many times recently, it came really easy.  I knew exactly what order things should be packed in, and how to pack them so things don't get broken.  And before I realized it, 3/4 of my belongings were packed.  And sitting in boxes, taking up what little floor space I have left.  And 10 days might sound like I should get the rest of my stuff packed, but if I do that now, what will I do next weekend?  Besides, I'm not sure my tiny apartment could handle many more boxes at the moment.  And I do still have to live here for the next 10 days.  And the boxes have already been a hazard to my toes.  Currently, my apartment looks like this:

My Living Room/Bedroom.  You can almost see some of the floor.

My "Dining Room"

I've actually been really amazed at how much stuff I was able to cram into this tiny apartment. 

Anyway...10 more days.  I'm almost wishing that it was sooner, just so I could get this whole thing over with.  Being stressed out isn't something I enjoy (but seriously...who does???).  And I'm anxious to get started with my life in IL.  I have a lot to look forward to.  And beyond that, I've been eating like crap lately and just can't seem to stop eating like crap.  But once I get settled, I think it will be a little easier.  Getting back to a normal routine will be nice too. 

A while ago, I started a list of things that I'm not going to miss once I leave DC.  It was a pretty long list.  But it was also really negative.  And once I got through it, I just couldn't seem to post it because it was so ridiculously negative.  All of which makes me realize that I'm definitely making the right decision for myself about moving back home.  Things like rude bus drivers, and getting car sick while riding the bus, and air pollution, and sirens in the middle of the night, having the fire department called to my building twice in as many weeks because other people set their kitchens on fire, community laundry facilities...and The Beltway.  And I'll throw one in for my dad.  Dear Dad, my gift to you as I move home - You will (most likely) never have to drive around a DC traffic circle ever again. 

And there will be things that I'm going to miss.  For one, my friends here in DC.  It's heartbreaking to leave friends behind as you move, but I'm also looking forward to living much closer to a lot of my friends in IL.  And living 15 minutes from Whole Foods. 

A few weeks ago, I had to tell myself not to get too impatient, and to enjoy the last few weeks that I had in DC.  And I'm having to tell myself the same thing now.  Enjoy these last 10 days, because you will never get them back. 

So, I may get a workout in this weekend.  I may not.  But I will try to get out and do...something in DC.  Just because I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment