Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I made a grown woman cry.

And other assorted tales from the road.

I've wanted to detail some of the things I've learned from the last month and a half while traveling about the country. I've traveled to a lot of different places, with completely different cultures...none of them being home to me. This includes the week I spent in DC. That didn't even seem normal to me.

So...let's go back to the beginning of time. Ok...not the beginning of time...that would take too long, and too much therapy to get through. Let's start with 5 weeks ago when I went to Kentucky. This was not a good start to my ARRRRRRGust. I was in complete culture shock. I flew in to Huntington, WV, and right away, I could tell there was a different feel for the area. The airport was very small, only 3 "gates" which were really sliding glass doors that you walked to and from the plane on the actual tarmac. The baggage claim was literally 15 feet long, and it still took almost a half hour for our luggage to re-appear. But it finally did, and I headed over to the rental car counter. When I got there, the 15 year old (kidding...maybe) that they had staffing the counter asked me for my license. When I handed him my DC license, he took one look at it, then me, then asked "so...uh...what brings you to town?"

As I drove to my hotel, I got completely freaked out. I grew up in a really small town, and I've traveled to many places, but this is the first time I really felt like a fish out of water. Think stereotypical coal mining town, and you've about got it. I found my hotel, and it was quite clear that I was in THE nice hotel with THE nice restaurant attached to it. I called my mom, still completely freaking out. I had no idea how I would survive this place...and I had to be there to deliver 3 days of sessions! I ordered room service. Amazingly (and thankfully) they had Blue Moon. This is pretty much the only way I survived the next few days.

The next day when I met my participants that I'd be working with for the next few days, I knew that it was going to be memorable. Let's think 80's hair, 80's clothes, and really deep southern accents. Even my friends/family from Kentucky felt sorry for me for having to visit that area. I wish I had gotten a better warning before I arrived. But I can't say that it was all completely negative. The group was really nice, and they definitely welcomed me. In fact, the sponsor and I talked about me going back next year to deliver other sessions. To be honest, I'd actually willingly go. The reason being that at the end of our 3 days together, a lot of participants thanked me for what I'd done, and a couple even gave me hugs.

I survived the trip back to DC, and even made my connection with enough time to pee and grab lunch. Whew...I'm back in DC for a week!

I spend the following week working with one of our contractors who used to work in the DCPS system for nearly 40 years, and has been a trainer with our company for 7 years. I learned that week that you can work in the field for that long, but you can still learn something from a "kid." I actually taught her something...and I learned some presentation skills from her, but content...well...I already knew. My lack of Early Childhood background had made me feel like I didn't know what I was doing...but seeing that I knew just as much on the subject as she did made me feel pretty darn good. DC was a rough week...and sadly I don't have much positive to say about it. A lot of crap happened that I still don't want to talk about, preferring to leave it in the past. Short story, I was made to feel like I was stupid and didn't know how to do my job, and some new materials that were just handed to me got stolen. DC burnt me out. But hey...I got to sleep in my own bed. Oh...and I was chosen to deliver a presentation on something I had no idea about the night before I was supposed to deliver it. And I kicked ass at that.

So there's that.

Next up...Wisconsin. North-Western Wisconsin. Wisconsin is exactly what you think it is. Small towns with a lot of corn fields. Driving through made me feel like I was back home. It was quick though. I was there to deliver 2 days, and then would immediately be flying to Ohio. The session in Wisconsin went fairly well. One of the most notable things was that there was a HUGE fail with the GPS. I typed in the address exactly how I had been given it, and it took me 7 miles out of my way. Had it not been for my dad, I would have been completely lost. But I survived.

On to Ohio...2 more days. I get to my hotel at 11pm, and realize that the cold I thought I was getting had officially set in. I did not want to be there. I was sick, and tired, and really sick. The first day of the session, I was to deliver to 80 people in a room that could potentially hold 500...so it was a big room, and they made me wear a microphone. This is weird...thinking back on this...it was only 2 weeks ago...but it seems like a lifetime ago. I survived day 1, and the people were, once again, really nice. Day 2, I had no voice, but everyone was really nice to me, and helped me out as much as they could. Fortunately, it wasn't a horrendously long day. I went back to the hotel and crashed. This is the part where I actually appreciate hotel cable.

So far, no horrible stories with participants. Of course, the pace was off for everyone like it always is. But no one had called me out on not having an Early Childhood background, or not having any classroom experience...which is good.

Next up...Salt Lake City. To that point, the most civilized place I've been. I'm in town a day early, which means I get to hang out and work from my hotel room, and relax a little bit. Which was actually possible. It was definitely needed. I even got a chance to visit the Mormon's in Temple Square. They were very nice, and I got some good pictures of Gus...even if I did feel like I was vandalizing the statues by putting a rubber duck on them :) But it was totally worth it. The session in SLC was good, it went really well, and I got to work with another trainer (though we didn't deliver in the same room) we were in the same building which was nice. Kind of moral support for one another. But it went really well, and overall, not many challenges. The main thing was that there was one participant who always talked, and annoyed everyone else. But I worked with it, and again, at the end of the session, I got hugs. Rock on! Days like that are also needed because they remind me of why I like doing this.

Ok...back from Salt Lake City, and I'm in DC for a few days! I actually make an appearance at my office...which I think everyone was shocked that I was there. They hadn't seen me for a month. That's actually not an exaggeration. There was actual some debate about where I would be heading this week. I knew that I would be going somewhere, but I had said that I'd only do the beginning of the week because my BFF is coming into town, and I need to spend some time with her. So first I was going to Washington, then I wasn't...I was going to Boston. Wait...then there's confusion there, and I might not be needed there. So the next day looked like this. I really just want to go to Boston, it'll be easier for me, and it will work with my schedule. Well...sorry...we don't want to send you to Boston, how about South Dakota...and sorry...this will totally screw up your plans. Oh wait...now you can go to Boston. Thanks!

So I've been in Boston this week. The Boston-ites are a little...well...different. Driving here is insane...but I have yet to get lost! It's not hard to navigate...but you really just need to forget all rules of the road that you were ever taught, cut off everyone, and only be concerned with getting where you need to be, and you'll be fine. The sessions here have gone ok...they just had a similar session less than a year ago...so they already know what they're talking about. There is 1 woman here though...wow...just wow. She's been a nervous Nelly the entire time, especially since I introduced the online part. She doesn't like change. She showed up early today and told me that she was really nervous and if I didn't explain everything in detail to her and walk her through really slow that she'd cry. Well...I did walk her through it, and she was picking everything up. When she'd ask what she needed to do, I'd start to explain it, and before I could get my entire explanation out, she would already be doing it. I re-assured her MANY times over the morning that she knew what she was doing...but she just wouldn't believe it. After her session was over this morning, I saw her walking through the building, crying. I didn't say anything then, but told one of the sponsors what I saw. When I was walking back in from getting my lunch...she walked in right before me. I asked her how she was doing, and she wouldn't even acknowledge my presence. That really upsets me...but at the same time...I also know that it's not me. The people here know how she is, and have told me they understand. She'll be fine...she just doesn't think she will be. Well...that's not my problem. Sorry...but I'm not a hold your hand and tell you it'll be ok kind of girl. Never have been, never will be.

I found out when I got to the hotel in Boston that I'd be going to Washington State next week. At this point, I'm tired, and I'm ready to be at home for a while...but what am I going to do. I have thought that what is the point of having an office job if I don't get holiday's (this is the second holiday weekend I've lost this year to training). But what am I going to do? I'm on staff, and I really can't say no. So I'm going to Washington State next week to deliver 4 days of sessions, and then am flying directly to Wisconsin to cheer on my friends at IM MOO.

So let's see...short recap:

Kentucky...big hair and Southern accents, but really nice people.

Wisconsin...your typical Mid-Western small town.

Ohio...I don't remember because I was sick.

DC...not as nice as it sounds for being at home.

Salt Lake City...the prettiest place I've been so far...the mountains were a nice touch.

Boston...crazy people that cry...and have the stereotypical Baaaaaastaaaaaan accents.

My friends and co-workers are beginning to give up on my existence. I thought I was heading in the right direction on a couple of things before this all started...and now I think it's been screwed up because I haven't been there. I've tried to see my friends...but trying to fit everything in in the 24 hours I'm at home is nearly impossible...and I'm not sure why some things haven't worked out even though I've tried to make them happen. I miss my friends. I miss being able to plan more than a couple of days in advance...and not having to change plans at the last minute. I thought once I got home tonight that I'd really be home. Now that's changed. I really hope next week is it. I miss doing things from before all this happened. I want to go running or biking with my friends. I want to have time to see a movie, or go to dinner. I don't want to sleep my weekends away when I'm at home because I'm so exhausted.

I've also been thinking about a lot of things I want to do. I actually wrote out a list the other night. Granted...this list is extensive...and will probably take a lifetime to accomplish...but I have ideas. I want to bake really good home-made bread without the assistance of a bread maker. I want to learn how to make home-made strawberry jam. I want to have this really awesome wooden bench with over-stuffed pillows that I can curl up and read in. There's a lot more to the list...but a few things at a time...

In thinking back about what I've written...I had originally hoped it would be more funny...but that's definitely not the feeling that I'm getting afterward...and that's just depressing. Maybe I need more caffeine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment